Archive for October, 2010
i know it’s been almost a couple of weeks and i would be upset not to be able to read about what awesome things are going on in my life too, but i assure you, i’ve been busy.
here’s some of what’s been going on:
- working two jobs, it’s surprisingly time consuming.
- going to be a ninja turtle for halloween, put the shells together last night and it should be awesome. no idea what we’re doing, but i’m super excited to have a whole ninja turtle crew.
- operation bull ship is fully underway (and possibly over), but there is no update yet.
- painted last weekend, definitely have to say that it takes a lot of talent to paint well! something i’m going to need to work on haha.
GMAT studying – yeah, hasn’t happened after that one time.
no yoga for a couple weeks which makes me glum. haven’t even made it to the gym since i hardly have time to sleep. should be able to get some time in next sat which i’m pretty excited for. heading to work for a few hours now, then off to paint the turtle shells. i’ll try to get some pics up in the next few days/week.
brief update because i’m on my way to work…
operation: bull ship is underway. it’s been a goal for some time to get the cow on john heald’s blog (who is john heald? google him: Carnival cruise director). through months of careful planning (or coincidences, who knows?) the plan might actually take place. if you don’t know what cow i’m talking about, look up “blode kuh” on my FB. the egg man and the cow will be sent out on this mission later this week. good luck guys.
- update on how i’m doing on the monthly goals:
not doing so hot on any of them to be honest haha. studied a little for the GMAT, but need to stick to the scheduled times and wake up early to study. Painting hasn’t happened, but will be happening this weekend. Operation post it is the farthest along, been testing the tape on the wall and it’s not sticking so great so i may need to stop by staples for a new roll or put more tape. operation face time is moving a little slower than planned, but still on the agenda… i’ve enlisted the help of a few people.
hot damn, this weekend feels long. i’ve been at training all this weekend so far for the new job and i have to say that less than training, it’s more like a managerial workshop. it’s pretty interesting really. a lot of it reminds me of things i learned in college about how to talk with employees, coaching, etc. which seems like good practice and seems like something i could apply to a lot of every-day things.. i’m glad i’m doing this, hopefully everything else will go well when i actually start.
haven’t really had a chance to do a whole lot else this weekend. hung out on friday night til late and made a crazy looking apple-caramel-peanutbutter looking thing last night. picture below.
alright well, back to the struggle!
what’s been up the past few days? yoga evenings, hanging out with friends, reading, but mostly working. which brings me to a minor epiphany i had last night.
lately, i’ve been getting really upset and angry thinking about where i am at work, how stuck i feel, what’s wrong with things there, what i would rather be doing, etc. even going as far as calculating if my part time job would be able to cover all my expenses… it’s seemed pointless to think of changing anything as i plan my escape. yet, it really is all my fault (with the help of a lot of circumstance) – but things could be much worse.
i’ve finally put together a pretty rough draft of what changes i think should be made to the department better and what i would rather be doing. i hope to work on them later today and over the weekend to try to get something on here (just the ideal position part, the other stuff would be boring to everybody).
on a separate note: tomorrow i’ll be starting my training, which will go through the weekend for the new part time job. should be interesting since i haven’t actually started a new job in years.
don’t think i’ll be making it to the run tonight (again) since i feel the need to go to kendall tonight to see my mom who i haven’t seen now in a couple of weeks… as well as getting a haircut which has probably been at least a couple months? i need to find a running buddy. any takers?
Update on latest happenings:
- Zombie walk – Success! I hope to post pictures soon.
- Studying – Got a few hours done on Sunday and i have to say that it’s been a long time since I’ve had to work on word problems. hope to get more studying done today at some point. really need to step this up to making time daily to study.
- Painting – Still hasn’t kicked off, this needs time/work to put the whole vision together. maybe some simplification too. we’ll see.
- Operation: Post-It – Still only have the four post cards up. Also, something that can be done relatively quickly… but may wait until the weekend to get some more up just so there is better light for the pictures.
- Breast Cancer Walk – Haven’t done much more here, donations are still pretty slim (and well below goal), will repost on FB shortly.
- Part time Job – got an e-mail, training starts Friday at FIU. Need to study up on their products so that I can become more familiar with them before starting.
- Orlando weekend – might not happen… party was cancelled. Might end up going anyway, just need to coordinate things to do instead and a place to lay my head.
Getting the calendar up on here and synced with my phone to make sure i get more of this jazz done. it almost seems sort of final to have things on there. check it out for the latest things i’m doing (assuming you’re interested). let me know if you can’t see it or if you know how to change the background color of the event names (it’s coming up grey for me)… feel free to add things to the calendar if it lets you (and don’t make it all be spam and porn).
Trying to figure out what October might bring… I’m thinking of setting up the following as my goals – any comments/thoughts would be appreciated:
- MBA Planning – this needs to be something more concrete, but I think I need to at least have studying for the GMAT done. Is it too ambitious to think I should have the test taken by the end of the month? Maybe I should say I’ll have three schools and a program picked out.
- Painting – I need to get some painting done, so I’m going to commit to having nine paintings done by the end of the month. They’re small so it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s really the planning that’s going to take the bulk of the time… I think I may be planning something too elaborate (hard to believe, I’m sure).
- Kick Off of Operation: Post-It, Part Deux – This has already had a soft launch, but I’m going to get a little more aggressive on this one. Executive summary is post cards for wall paper all over my walls… first wall is about 10 x 10, so I’m going to need a lot of post cards. Shouldn’t be too difficult, but need to find a fun way to record this. Goal is to have the first wall done by the end of the year.
- Other happenings for the month: Zombie walk tomorrow, Breast Cancer Walk in a couple weeks (donations welcome), starting second job, Arsht Center volunteer orientation, trip to Orlando on Halloween weekend, and probably something else I’m forgetting. Wish me luck!